Five Summer Car Care Tips for Kansas City
It’s time to uncover the barbecue and fire up the grill. Break out the flip flops and shorts from winter storage. Slather on the sunscreen and head to the beach. Make the most of the hot, sunny days Kansas City experiences in the altogether too-short summer season.
Before you head anywhere, though, is your Toyota ready for summertime? If you’re going to be depending on your vehicle to get you around this summer, it’s a detail you can’t overlook. While many modern vehicles require less maintenance between summer and winter, there are still a few things you should do to keep your car at its best.
Summer Car Care Tips:
- Put your summer tires on. Winter tires in Kansas are an ever-increasing trend for safe driving while the roads are snowy and icy. When the weather gets warm again, you’ve got to get your winter tires off quickly. If you drive your car with its winter tires still on when the mercury soars, the softer rubber will wear out rapidly. If your summer tires have less than 3/32nds of an inch tread remaining, it’s time to replace them.
- Get your car detailed. Winter has a way of making your vehicle filthy. Sand and salt accumulate on your paint, your undercarriage, and on your carpets and floor mats. Left on its own, that sand and salt will cause premature corrosion and rust as it wears into your paint and metal underside of your car. It can permanently stain your carpets also. Cleaning the salt and sand off your car will extend your Toyota’s life by years, not to mention keep it looking great!
- Wax the paint. While you’re getting your car detailed, wax the exterior. Your goal isn’t just a shiny paint job, although that’s always nice. You’re intentions here are to protect your paint from environmental elements that can damage your paint.The sun’s UV rays can cause fading and bird droppings and bug guts can eat into the finish. An hour of waxing your car will rejuvenate the paint and protect your finish for the summer.
- Check your battery. Wintertime is hard on your battery with cold starts drawing tons of power from its reserves. Short trips that don’t fully recharge its power stores can shorten your battery’s life and the summer heat can accentuate the problem. Get your battery tested to make sure it’s going to work for you reliably throughout the summer months and replace it if it’s marginal or weak.
- Get your Toyota checked over. With the change of seasons, it’s the perfect time to get your Toyota into the shop for a multi-point inspection. Whether you’ve been pounding the potholes and need a wheel alignment or it’s time for regular maintenance or fluid changes, a multi-point inspection can catch issues before they leave you stranded in the summer.
If you need tires in Kansas City, your Toyota needs an oil and filter change, or you need your battery tested for summertime driving, visit Jay Wolfe Toyota in Kansas City. You’ll get expert, friendly service from factory-trained technicians to keep your Toyota running right all year long.